Saturday, March 07, 2009

Roasted Pears with Strawberry Relish

I love dessert, but I am trying to cut out excess sugar. (only a teaspoon in my coffee in the morning. I could probably cut that out, but I don't want to.)

Roasted Pears with Strawberry Relish

1 16 oz can whole-berry cranberry sauce

2/3 cup whole strawberries, cut in half

1/2 cup toasted pecans

1 Tbsp. chopped crystallized ginger

1 tsp. grated orange zest

4 firm, ripe pears

1 Tbsp. melted butter

To make strawberry relish using a microwave, heat cranberry sauce in large Pyrex bowl for 2 minutes on high power, or heat in a saucepan over low heat until warm. Stir in strawberries, pecans, ginger and orange zest. Keep warm.

Peel pears and cut in half. With a spoon, scoop out seeds and enough flesh to make a large cavity. Place pears on baking sheet, cut side up and brush with butter. Turn pears over and brush with butter again. Place under broiler until pears start to brown; turn pears over with a spatula and broil cut side down until they start to brown. This is approximately 4 minutes on each side.

Fill cavity of each pear with 1/4 cup of strawberry relish

Makes 8 servings

I tried this on Saturday night, except I improvised the strawberry relish.

I used 4 Tablespoons of strawberry jam with a bit of honey, the crystallized ginger, and lemon zest (I omitted the cranberries and pecans- too lazy, although I think some toasted pecans would be fabulous!). I zapped that in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds before adding to the pears. I also put a bit of whipped cream on the side. It was yummy!

No comments: