Monday, March 16, 2009

Polenta Popper or Cheesy Grits- You choose

I made these yummy grits as a substitute for rice with gumbo. I will wait to post the Gumbo recipe, because I did not like the one I used. I am going to make my traditional gumbo and see how that turns out. I think you can serve this at a brunch or as a side-(Maybe instead of mashed potatoes). Rich and yummy.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 to 3 jalapeƱos or Fresno (red jalapeƱo) peppers or a mix of both, seeded and finely chopped
4 ounces cream cheese
1 cup milk (I used heavy cream instead)
1 tablespoon dehydrated onion flakes (I substituted a half of a chopped onion sauteed with the jalapenos)
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup quick-cooking polenta (I substituted 6 packages of quick cooking grits)
1 cup shredded jack cheese

Yields: 4 servings

Preparation
In a medium-size pot over medium-high heat, add one turn of the pan of EVOO. Cook the peppers (and chopped onion) until tender, about 3-4 minutes.

Add cream cheese, milk, dehydrated onion (omit if you are using my substitutions) and stock and bring up to a bubble. Whisk in polenta (Grits). When it starts to firm up, stir in cheese.

No comments: