Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Thank you for your patience

Forgive me for the long delay in giving the general public and all my fellow Techsters the scoop on my life in the last few months. So here it goes.

May- I went to work two days a week for the Center for Personal Finance. (www.cpfdallas.com)
CPF is a Financial Planning firm with a Personal/Kingdom minded point of view when it comes to financial planning. Mark Schubach, the president of the company, came to me in February with an offer to work with the company developing marketing strategies and client services. To simplify the matter, I am a glorified event planner/executive assitant. I began working on the redesign of the website, while helping Mark and his daughter start a new company. I will eventually move over to the new company once it is up and running.

While working two days a week for the past two months, I continued to work with Hudson Productions (www.hudsonproductions.com) planning the Tommy Nelson Bible Conference. We were completely set to go for June 15th, 16th and 17th.

My event planning skills from the days of Kathy Nelson DJ'd events kicked into high gear. 645 attendees had registered for an average of $85 per person (because we gave away almost as many tickets as we sold). 4 different caterers were beginning preparations on fajitas, Barbecue, and breakfast. 72 cases (that is 1,728 glass bottles) of Dublin Dr. Pepper had been picked up, delivered, and began the chilling process. Over $4,000 in goods from Costco had arrived at the venue (Denton Bible Church), and United RentAll had delivered and set up fifty-plus tables and over 200 chairs along with table cloths, coffee pots, and ice caddys. By 5:00 pm on Wednesday, the details that I had worked so hard to pull together on paper were actually coming to life. I was seeing the results of budgeting,, organizing, calculating, and several phone calls to vendors.

By 6:30 pm, I could barely hold my eyelids open. I had to take a break from the church and setting up for a class at my own church. I left DBC with a multitude of list running through my mind. There was still so much to do before the next day. I am sure I was not even focusing at the The Village for the next hour. Once I was on the road home, begging for my bed and pillow, I noticed that I had 6 messages, all from Doug Hudson.

"Angie, call me. Something has gone wrong!"

"Angie, call me. We have to cancel La Hacienda tonight!"

"Angie! the conference is cancelled. Come to office as soon as you get this message."

The other three messages were just as urgent and unbelievable. I was able to end the retrieval process and call Doug. I did not believe him at first. From the time I left Highland Village to the time I reached our office, I had called and cancelled every caterer and vendor on the list.

Once I arrived at the office, we called every registered person from out of state. We missed one from Alaska and one from Virginia.

An explanation was given for the cancellation, and I spent the next week returning items, refunding individuals, and working with vendors on refunds of our own. Tommy's body was tired. He would not have been able to stand and teach for over 12 hours. His heart wanted to, but his body disagreed and won the battle. Tommy will be taking a sabbatical from the Church for the next two months. We all trust in how the Holy Spirit is working through this situation.

All of this to say. I have been busy. This is just one of a few reasons for the silence in the last two months. I will fill you in more in the next few weeks.

Thank you for calling me out- Shandra!

2 comments:

Shandra said...

Wow girl! You have been busy!!! I really hope things slow down a bit for you. Thanks for updating! Just wanted to know you were still out there!! :)

Mandy B Stenberg said...

Glad to read the story again sis. I know you worked hard. I know it was going to be ONE great conference. And I know that Mark is one lucky guy to have you on his new staff. Keep on keepin' on.