Thursday, January 12, 2006

Standing in Line

I have never stood or waited in a line in order to buy something that I thought I could not live without. Not a concert, or ballgame, or special speaker... Nothing. But today I was paid to stand in line.

I work two days a week for a family running errands, taking care of their household business. The family consist of Vera and Lang, and three teenage and preteen kiddos. Parker, the thirteen year old son, claimed that all he wanted for Christmas was an XBOX 360. I am not a connoisseur of video games, but I learned very quickly that this is the latest and greatest in the gaming industry. Apparently, every kid and every kid at heart wanted ONLY this for Christmas. Vera tried, but could not get her hands on one before Christmas. So for the past two weeks I either personally visited or called Terry at Best Buy in Dallas to acquire about the possible arrival of 4 XBOXes. Only 4. That's all they were expecting. Vera and I also heard that people would sit outside the Target or other stores and then rush in as soon as the doors opened to fight over the XBOX.

Yesterday, Terry told me that he did not have a shipment, but he suggested that I may want to be at the store when they opened. The store opened at 10:00. Terry knew that I was persistent in my desire to purchase and was honoring that quality. So.

I pulled into the Best Buy parking lot at 8:45 this morning. There were several cars, but no one waiting outside. I expected a crowd and decided before hand, that if there were more than 10 people, Parker would have to wait. So I was surprised and concerned at the same time.

I walked up to the doors. One Best Buy employee was walking in. Even though I knew the answer I asked again for extra measure (and to keep from looking like a desperate maniac), "What time do you open?"

I began to walk back to my car when two other cars pulled into the parking lot. I quickly walked back toward the front doors and plopped myself down on the concrete. I had to make a strong statement that I was there first. Three guys jumped out of their cars and the line began to form.

I decided to kill the time by managing my new 2006 calendar. All the while, my heart was racing, my mouth was dry, I could feel my ears burning, and my palms were sweaty. Finally I looked over and asked "You guys are not going to try to knock me down or shove me out of the way are you?" They were polite and promised to be nice.

I made it to 10:00. I was quickly recognized as the first one in the store. "Congratulations on your new XBOX purchase. Are you excited?"

I smiled, "No not really."

2 comments:

Mandy B Stenberg said...

You are SUCH A GREAT storyteller and writer. I laughed out loud and had to read it to some other people.

Hey, its my birthday.

Christy said...

That's so funny! Loved the story!